As more research is done with cannabis, we are learning that it also has medicinal and wellness effects on pets. Several companies have observed this more closely and launched educational campaigns and Cannabidiol (CBD) products specifically made for our furry family members. With industrial hemp/CBD now federally legal in the U.S., pet owners can now comfortably initiate conversations with their veterinarians about using these products.
As reported recently by Insider, in a study published in June 2018 researchers from Cornell University gave CBD oil to 16 dogs with osteoarthritis every 12 hours for four weeks. They found that the dogs who got the CBD oil had less pain than the dogs who were given a placebo. The pups' pain levels were assessed using the Canine Brief Pain Inventory (CBPI), a method that looks at how a dog's daily functions like walking are impacted by pain.
Also, a recent survey reports that 92 percent of veterinarians have been asked about CBD products for pets. Pet parents want to understand and trust the CBD they give their pets. Allison Taylor from Receptra Naturals offers five tips to help them decide whether CBD is something they’d like to try for their pets..
1. Understand the endocannabinoid system: All mammals have an endocannabinoid system that is stimulated by cannabinoids like CBD. The endocannabinoid system is connected to the central nervous system, brain, and peripheral systems in order to regulate homeostasis, mood, and even emotions. Dogs have one of the highest concentrations of cannabinoid receptors of any mammal, and therefore are particularly sensitive to cannabis products. For this reason, starting a dog or any pet at a low serving size is always a good idea.
2. Know how CBD will affect your pet: Irritated, excited, or nervous pets may find that CBD assists in establishing calm and focus by helping balance the fight-or-flight response they are experiencing, especially around storms or fireworks. For pets that are restless or show signs of discomfort, CBD may help put some pep in their step and increase mobility by reducing inflammation with powerful antioxidants. Note that some pets, like people, may take time to experience the full benefits of CBD.
3. CBD oil for better pet sleep: For pets that have trouble sleeping due to hyperactivity or physical discomfort, CBD may help them get the sleep they need. Give a serving about one hour before bedtime.
4. CBD oil to support pet digestion: There are a variety of reasons pets get upset stomachs – from getting into the trash to trying out a new food or treat. CBD’s antioxidant value is perfect for targeting many digestive inflammation reactions in order to help your pet’s system return to homeostasis.
5. CBD for aging pets: Keeping pets active is a great way to ensure longevity. As our pets age, though, they begin to slow down just like we do. CBD is patented by the U.S. government as a neuroprotectant and antioxidant. As a neuroprotectant, CBD is great for promoting brain health in aging pets. The antioxidants in CBD help maintain proper blood flow throughout your pet’s body, which will ensure that the proper vitamins and nutrients are being circulated throughout its system.
As always, make sure you thoroughly research any healthcare choices you make for your furry friends, and Happy National Pet Day!!