The 420 Games To Invade Los Angeles
This March, The 420 Games will debut in Los Angeles, the first leg of a four-state, six-city tour. Participants are “Going the Extra Mile for Cannabis” in this 4.20 mile race that is longer than a typical 5k. The course takes runners from the Santa Monica Pier to Venice Beach and finishes back at the pier. Tickets can be purchased at 420Games.org
In the last 18 months, The 420 Games has acquired nearly 60,000 Facebook fans and features an event series that continues to expand. Recently featured in Newsweek magazine, The 420 Games has announced multiple events in California, Colorado, Seattle and Oregon. The event series will feature marathons, mountain bike races, and stand-up paddleboard competitions, amongst other contests. Future locales include San Francisco, Boulder, Denver, Portland and Seattle.
“Our attendance has doubled from the first event to the second, we expect thousands of people to come run or walk for cannabis respect on March 26th in LA. There is a passion and vibe of camaraderie at these events that is very inspiring to see.” - Jim McAlpine, event organizer and founder of SnowBomb
420 Games’ McAlpine has been active in several causes. At the recent AIDS Walk in San Francisco, McAlpine led Team Cannabis to 19th place in overall fundraising for the event with over $13,000 raised. Team Cannabis brought in more money than teams from Google and Facebook; McAlpine himself was the top fundraiser for his own team.
The 420 Games are presented by WeedMaps and sponsored by OpenVape, SnowBomb.com, Lagunitas Brewing Company, Harborside Health Center, and Eaze.
What: The 420 Games
When: Saturday March 26, 2016, 9AM – 3PM
Where: Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, CA 90401
Some highlights of the games include:
• Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) celebrity Kyle “Kingsbu” Kingsbury will be in attendance and running the race. Event promoters are challenging runners to “beat Kyle outside the ring”. Anyone who that crosses the finish line before Kyle will gain free entry into 420 Games events for one year.
• Steve DeAngelo, a nationally recognized pioneer in the cannabis reform movement and Executive Director of the nation’s model cannabis dispensary, Harborside Health Center, will give the keynote address.
• Post-race, all competitors will be treated to two hours of beer tasting from event sponsor Lagunitas Brewing Company of Petaluma, CA.
• A two-hour concert of positive vibes from international Reggae superstar Pato Banton!
• Former NFL Pro Bowler Kyle Turley and The Kyle Turley Band will open for Pato Banton.
• Prizes: Start-up cannabis delivery service Eaze will give $500 in medical marijuana credits to the first place winner, $250 for second place and $100 for third place.